Woe Is Me Downton Abbey


For all of you out there who like myself have grappled with the idea of finally tuning in to the much raved about, 1st season of 'Downton Abbey' you are not alone. Honestly, I've yet to sit down and watch the full first season as has been suggested to me on many occasions by friends and relatives, who apparently, cannot get enough of this English gem. I'm giggling to myself at the moment while recalling Kelly Ripa saying to an English co-host recently that 'Jersey Shore' is the American 'Downton Abbey', lol; of course she was joking. I digress.., so feeling as though I've been missing out on something, I've attempted a few times already to sit through an entire rerun for the past couple of months, unfortunately to no avail. I can't seem to "get it" or catch the bug. By now, I'm beginning to feel like Rachel in the hilarious "Sonogram" ep. of 'Friends', where she begins to wail uncontrollably in frustration, as she realizes that everyone else is able to see/make-out her own baby on the sonogram, except for her. That pretty much sums up my struggle with 'Downton Abbey', I can't see "it" no matter how aware I am of its brilliance. No worries, it'll happen, I'm sure, much like it did with 'Seinfeld'; one good day, it finally just, clicked! In the meantime, let's summon up the wisdom of that wise English bard from days of yore who once wrote ..., "the which if you with patient ears attend, what here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend".

Comments

Popular Posts