Chillin' Out And Reminiscing On A Lazy Sunday Afternoon...

It's another lazy Sunday and I woke up in a Melissa Etheridge state of mind ;). Her music takes me back to those early days of personal introspection and self-discovery which for me came during the late '80s to early '90s, while living on Bergen St in Brooklyn. How could I ever forget the first time I feasted my ears on the raw, raspy sound of her voice and the lyrics, and boy, those lyrics were just as primitive and raw, but all I knew was that they sent my senses reeling. Up until that point I hadn't heard any female rocker bring it with the same power and passion that Janis Joplin did. I recall being unable to remove her cassette from the tape deck of my boom box for days, yep, ya heard it right, boom-box.The experience was very similar but not quite as transcendent as the out-of-body experience Prince's Ana Stesia had over me the first time I heard it. 'Lovesexy' had found a home for weeks on end, in that same exact tape deck, a few years before Melissa's took up residence, lol. I'll leave you now with Melissa's 'Brave and Crazy' and 'Don't You Need'.







Comments

Popular Posts