Al Pacino's "Wilde Salome" Will Debut at Venice Film Festival - Playbill.com


"Salomé, Salomé, dance for me. I pray thee dance for me. I am sad tonight. Yes, I am passing sad tonight. When I came hither I slipped in blood, which is an evil omen; and I heard, I am sure I heard in the air a beating of wings, a beating of giant wings. I cannot tell what they mean .... I am sad tonight. Therefore dance for me. Dance for me, Salomé, I beseech you. If you dance for me you may ask of me what you will, and I will give it you, even unto the half of my kingdom." ~Oscar Wilde~

Al Pacino's "Wilde Salome" Will Debut at Venice Film Festival - Playbill.com



For those of you wondering if perhaps I may be a tad obsessed with this biblical character,...duh! Yes, I learned about her at a very early age, the name simply captivated me then and I haven't been able to put her to rest since. In later years, reading Wilde's  masterpiece only added fuel to my already long burning fire. So as you can well imagine my delight, upon learning that another one of my idols has been working on a documentary using Wilde's work as his reference. I quiver with anticipation at the insight Pacino's take on this literary masterpiece, will yield. His 'Looking For Richard' documentary style film from quite a few years ago, based on Shakespeare's Richard III tragedy, was astounding. Last summer I had the opportunity to catch Pacino as Shylock in 'The Merchant Of Venice' at Shakespeare In The Park which left me wanting more.., low and behold, he doesn't disappoint and surprises us yet again. It is a great honor and privilege to herewith simultaneously shine the spotlight and pay tribute to these two geniuses whose bodies of work are nothing short of extraordinary. "HOO-ah!".

Comments

Popular Posts